Heritage and food have always been linked for Hetty Lui McKinnon. Tenderheart is a loving homage to her father, a Chinese immigrant in Australia, told in flavorful, vegetarian recipes. Growing up as part of a Chinese family in Australia, McKinnon formed a deep appreciation for her bicultural identity, and for her father, who moved to Sydney as a teenager and learned English while selling bananas at a local market. As he brought home crates full of produce after work, McKinnon learned about the beauty and versatility of fruits and vegetables.
Tenderheart is the happy outcome of McKinnon’s love of vegetables, featuring 22 essential fruits and vegetables that become the basis for over 180 recipes.
- Miso Mushroom Ragu with Baked Polenta
- Carrot and Vermicelli Buns
- Crispy Potato Tacos
- Kale, Ginger and Green Onion Noodles
- Broccoli Wontons with Umami Crisp
- Soy–Butter Bok Choy Pasta
- Sweet Potato and Black Sesame Marble Bundt